Everything must have a foundation, a start. Below is the foundation I start with, the base beliefs I have:
- God is sovereign. That means he can do what He wants, when He wants to, however He wants to. He can use whoever or whatever He wants to accomplish anything He wants to.
- The Bible is absolute truth. Other things can come and go. Peoples’ perceptions and understanding can change. The Bible, though, is truth. People can argue over translation, interpretation and meaning, but it doesn’t change the Bible’s truth. If something doesn’t hold up to scripture, it loses. Scripture always wins.
- Jesus is the Son of God. He died for our sins, and is part of the Holy Trinity. Oh, and He arose on the third day, conquering death. I don’t know how it all works, I’m not that smart, but see #2.
- Jesus is Lord. That means Jesus is God. Again, I’m not smart enough to know how or why, but I believe it to be true. Being my Lord means that Jesus is the boss. He makes the rules, I follow His instructions—or am supposed to…I really try. (Thankfully I believe 1, 2, and 3, and therefore when I do screw up and sin, I’m forgiven).
- Everyone needs Jesus. Some of us more than others—at least some more visually obvious than others. Jesus loves everyone. Everyone means everyone.